Ignorance, egoism, attachment, hatred and clinging to bodily life are the five obstacles
There are five kinds of coloring (kleshas):
1) forgetting, or ignorance about the true nature of things (avidya)
2) I-ness, individuality, or egoism (asmita)
3) attachment or addiction to mental impressions or objects (raga)
4) aversion to thought patterns or objects (dvesha)
5) love of these as being life itself, as well as fear of their loss as being death.
Here an overview of the kleshas or obstacles is given, and each one will be further described in the following sutras. The order is key, as ignorance about the nature of reality leads to egoism. Because of egoism, one becomes attached to things which pleasure the ego. Because we are attached to things, we cling to life in the body.