Ignorance is the field for the others mentioned after it, whether they be dormant, feeble, intercepted or sustained.
The root forgetting or ignorance of the nature of things (avidya) is the breeding ground for the other of the five colorings (kleshas), and each of these is in one of four states:
1) dormant or inactive
2) attenuated or weakened
3) interrupted or separated from temporarily
4) active and producing thoughts or actions to varying degrees.
Through yoga and meditation, the thought patterns are gradually weakened and can remain in a dormant state. The four states are as follows:
- the active / aroused state – the thought pattern is manifesting on the surface as physical behaviour or things at the forefront of one’s mind
- distanced / separated / cut off state – the attraction / aversion to an object is still there, but is not active
- the thought pattern is interrupted / weakened
- the thought pattern is dormant – as if it were a seed that is not growing at the moment, but which could grow in the right conditions